Friday, February 04, 2022

BrainStorm: Why Young Adults Should Join

Brain Injury Association of SC logo
 
Brainstorm logo BIASC

A support and advocacy group for young adults 

who have been impacted by brain injury

Meet Your BrainStorm Peer Facilitator: Jasmine Norris

Jasmine Norris, facilitator of Brainstorm, photo

My name is Jasmine Norris, I'm 28 years old and I'm on the Board of Directors for the Brain Injury Association of South Carolina. I graduated from University of South Carolina School of Law in 2020, and I am currently working full-time as an attorney and part-time as an EMT for Lexington County. I've had 6 diagnosed TBIs, one of which ended my college soccer career. Having personally dealt with the lack of resources and support that often comes with head injuries, I'm very passionate about helping provide support and education to individuals affected by brain injuries, concussions, etc. It's hard dealing with an invisible injury, especially if you don't have someone in your life that understands what you're going through and can provide the resources or support you may need. My hope is to be that person for anyone that needs it, by facilitating this group. 

Meet BrainStorm Attendee & BIASC Volunteer: Carli Simms

Carli Simms, volunteer at BIASC and Brainstorm attendee, photo

My name is Carli Simms, I’m 27 years old and a volunteer for the Brain Injury Association of South Carolina. I first learned of BIASC after losing my boyfriend to suicide in August 2021. While my boyfriend never showed any signs of mental illness, he was living with multiple concussions from playing football throughout high school. Since his death, I’ve learned about the many ways that brain injuries can affect people both physically and mentally. I’ve become passionate about spreading awareness and advocating for those with brain injuries, as well as connecting with people who have one themselves or know someone living with one. I hope that this group will bring support and resources to anyone affected by brain injuries, and I am excited to be able to be a part of it!  

If you or someone you know is contemplating suicide (ending your life) here are some resources that can be helpful: 

  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline : Mental Health America of Greenville County (mhagc.org)
  • National Suicide Prevention Hotline Number: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
  • Youth and Teen Text Line: 864-77-TEENS (83367)

Diverse group of young people surrounded by brain graphics for BrainStorm group promo

What is BrainStorm?

BrainStorm is a group for young adults (ages 15-29) who are striving to advocate, educate, and create a safe space for individuals that have been affected by concussions, traumatic brain injuries, or acquired brain injuries in any capacity. 

This group strives to bring visibility to this 'invisible' injury through education, advocacy, open-communication, and support. 

WHO: Survivors, family, friends, and advocates of brain injury ages 15-29 years of age

NEXT MEETING: February 16, 2022 from 6:30 - 8 pm EST

HOW TO GET MORE INFORMATION: 

Check Out Our Website! 


No comments: