Monday, October 16, 2017

BI Survivor Spotlight




"Survivor Spotlight"
Tyrone Johnson
 
When my day began on Valentine's Day in 2014, it was just like any other February day. The weather was not just cold and rainy for February, but South Carolina was experiencing a brutal ice storm. As I headed out to start patrolling and protect the people of Spartanburg as a Sergeant for the city's crime prevention unit, I slipped on ice and fell to the ground. I then realized I hit my head and wasn't sure to what was going on. A fellow officer appeared and saved my life by calling 911. After that day I have never been the same but I still enjoy the greatest gift in life, life itself. I get to do what I love with those who love me, including the people at the Brain Injury Association. 

A year after my injury, I attended the BIASC Statewide Conference in Columbia and it became the only day out of the year where I feel normal. The conference has connected me to others with brain injury that I can talk with and relate to. Every speaker at the conference speaks to me and my injury and for that, I am grateful for this Association.

As a track coach at Spartanburg High School for 18 years and winning 6 girls state championships with my runners, the Run for Thought holds a special place in my heart. Every year, I make sure I come out to the run and walk the 5k for my team and myself, and celebrate every accomplish I have achieved since my injury.


Join me on October 21st! Let's run/walk/roll together!

If you can not make it, consider giving a donation. Hope to see you there.













 

No comments: