Friday, July 29, 2022

Mila's Story

ABLE SC logo
 
BIPOC Mental Health Month July 2022 ABLE SC logo

July is BIPOC Mental Health Month 

July Is Bebe Moore Campbell National Minority Mental Health Awareness Month, Also known as BIPOC Mental Health Month. The month was recognized starting in 2008. It is formally called Bebe Moore Campbell National Minority Mental Health Awareness Month. It was created to bring awareness to the unique struggles that Black, indigenous, and other people of color (BIPOC) face related to their mental health. Bebe Moore Campbell was an American author, journalist, teacher, and mental health advocate who worked to educate others on the mental health needs of the Black community and other underrepresented communities. 

To celebrate the month we're introducing you to members of the BIPOC disability community who've shared their mental health stories with us. 

(Trigger warning: discussion of intense depression symptoms

Meet Mila. 

Mila photo ABLE SC BIPOC Mental Health Month July 2022 feature image

Mila has major depressive disorder, recurrent, in partial remission. This means she has some of the symptoms of depression but not enough to meet the requirements to need clinical treatment. "I began experiencing symptoms of depression around the age of 12 but did not get an official diagnosis until I saw my first therapist at 25. I have also experienced panic attacks (which are extremely scary), but that was due to intense work-related stress. I have not had any panic attacks since changing jobs." 

About her diagnosis, Mila says, “When I am not using tools that help me, I have anger and irritability, which can look like verbal aggression towards my family and even my dogs. My energy and motivation become very limited, and I want to sleep all day, every day. Everything feels too heavy and not worth doing. If I am off medication for 3 days or more, I experience intrusive thoughts and suicidal ideation. The part of my brain that can typically block out thoughts like that and look on the bright side seems off-line. It does not feel scary while it's happening because, interestingly, my thoughts and feelings make total sense to me at the time. During a depressive episode, I truly cannot remember feeling any other way, including being joyful. But when I get stable and look back, I realize it is a very dark and troubling time." 

Mila shared that medication is the best thing that works for her, "Unless I am consistently taking my medication, no other coping skills stick." 

She also enjoys watching her son, "Watching him experience the newness of life helps me to experience things for the "first time" again too." 

She uses the support of others to help her manage her health, "My husband, Mike, is very empathic and sometimes knows when I am 'spiraling' before I do. I have grown to trust him, and when he tells me something is off, I know to check in with myself. 

Mila's tools include:  

  • Medication 
  • Being in nature and walks 
  • Playing Pokémon Go 
  • Resting 
  • Listening to music 
  • Traveling 
  • Looking at Colorful things 
  • Meeting new dogs 
  • Taking care of plants 
  • Helping others 
  • Simple grounding techniques & attending therapy 

Mila's advice for those new to recovery from mental illness: 

Not to be cliché, but you are not alone, and there is hope! I became a mental health therapist because of my trauma history and desire never to let anyone struggle alone in the ways that I did. I encourage anyone reading this that may be struggling to ask for help. You can ask for help from a parent/guardian, a family member, a teacher, and a trusted friend. Keep asking until someone takes you seriously and will help you get to a professional. If you are unsure how to find professional help, check out www.psychologytoday.com to search for a therapist in your area. If the first therapist you find does not fit, do not hesitate to continue your search until you find 'your person.' " 

Thank you for sharing your story Mila! 


No comments: